Chimney Rock Conditions

Went for a very quick ride yesterday and stuck to Orange & Red. I expected it to be better, but it was rideable.
Might be OK today, but tomorrow would be a better bet.

IMG_9172.jpeg
IMG_9173.jpeg
IMG_9174.jpeg
IMG_9175.jpeg
IMG_9178.jpeg

Kirt, Ryan, and I did some work on black today. As he mentioned above it was wetter than expected. Did some firming up of the trail right from Gilbride which is the first few pics. The last 2 pics represent our attempt to deal with the massive mud hole on the way to Cromwell. That will need more work in the near future.

did a little of blue, white and red. Seemed pretty wet to me in a lot of sections of trail. If the traffic stays low it may be good by tomorrow with no more rain. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
did a little of blue, white and red. Seemed pretty wet to me in a lot of sections of trail. If the traffic stays low it may be good by tomorrow with no more rain. Just my opinion.
Steady rain rn, will likely take a few days to firm up

SHORT STORY: go get it

LONGER VERSION: most of the park is primo, trouble spots on what I rode:
  • 2 or 3 mushy spots on white
  • 2 or 3 mushy spots on green
  • the first third of lower red when entering from Newman's side was quite messy
  • near the top of the ball field climb has that long stretch of muck
  • I skipped black trail (and by extension cromwell) based on Norm's intel and how bad it was last week before the rain
  • all of blue above the red line in the below screenshot is by far the worst, would avoid this area, all others were fine
  • if more rain stays away the biggest enemy is gonna be growth, some areas have already really grown and are limiting visibility
route.jpeg

some trees (blue dot marks the spot):

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

this one is a limbo job, just watch ur head:
3.jpeg
4.jpeg

Question for the regular riders. I have only ridden the trail couple of times from the school parking lot which has a lot of rocky section. Is there part of the trail system that avoids the rocks?

@shrpshtr325 I figured I will get that response :D. I am looking for trails close to me where I can take someone who had fall in CR and is very hesitant in riding the rocks. Want to keep him engaged.

@shrpshtr325 I figured I will get that response :D. I am looking for trails close to me where I can take someone who had fall in CR and is very hesitant in riding the rocks. Want to keep him engaged.
Cromwell property, white trail and black trail is fine then at chimney rock. Unless you want to travel somewhere else like 6 mile, rutgers eco preserve, frost woods, Thompson park, edith stevens. All those are rock free and in central jersey.

Cromwell property, white trail and black trail is fine then at chimney rock. Unless you want to travel somewhere else like 6 mile, rutgers eco preserve, frost woods, Thompson park, edith stevens. All those are rock free and in central jersey.
Thank you. Right now we use 6MR since it's closest to me. I will check out the other trails that you mentioned.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions