High Bridge Flow Trails Status

Yay!!!!!!!! Posted on IG

Screenshot_20230428-065918.png

bummed i couldnt get there to help out with the cleanup but psyched to see the revamp and ready to send it! (the 1-3 times per year i actually get there)

I noticed from several opening day videos that it’s mega dusty. I wonder if it’s because they used different dirt or the lack of shade from the chopped down trees.

On a side note, I think the trails need a starting platform, kinda like the dirt mound it used to have but wooden.

I noticed from several opening day videos that it’s mega dusty. I wonder if it’s because they used different dirt or the lack of shade from the chopped down trees.

On a side note, I think the trails need a starting platform, kinda like the dirt mound it used to have but wooden.
Did any of the videos include all the bros cracking Red Bulls and leaving their cans everywhere?

I haven’t had the chance to go yet this season. I mean, aren’t there trash bins? If not, they should put some by pump track, up top at the start and bottom attached to the trail head posts.

A little off topic - anyone know why the High Rail Brewery closed so suddenly? from there a few times but it was pretty good!
Just rumors but I heard rent at that location was too high and that they had loses after the car crashed into it last summer.

A little off topic - anyone know why the High Rail Brewery closed so suddenly? from there a few times but it was pretty good!
Just rumors but I heard rent at that location was too high and that they had loses after the car crashed into it last summer.
Definitely a bummer, but on the bright side Esker Hart Artisan Ales is moving into the space. They move in 7/1, but won't have all the needed permits to truly open up until early '24.

I've been to the flow trails twice since they opened. In addition to clearing the bazillion trees, I think everything on blue has been touched, and the bottom of green was updated. I think it's a nice improvement.

On blue most of the smaller stuff, the rollers that you can gap etc., seem easier. Not sure if it's my imagination, or if they were really changed, but the gaps seem shorter to me. Many, maybe all, of the tables have been modified, and I think all in a good way. The first one is taller and shorter. Not much work to get to the right speed for it now. It's "boostier" with a nice pumpable roller in front. The two tables in a straight-away about half way down both have better lips and jump bigger/easier now. The lower long table is even longer, with a really long forgivable landing, and it takes some effort for me to clear now. The second to last table is also bigger and longer (and better), and the last table seems similar in size, but just jumps better than it used to. There's a big new berm at the end of each trail which send you left onto the rightmost climbing trail with some momentum which is nice if you are headed back up. Also some berm work higher up on blue as well as some slight modification to teh line routes.

Overall I think it's an improvement all the way around. It's more challenging; I personally have yet to clear all of the last 3 tables in one run....but I am not the greatest jumper. Someone with solid jumping skills will probably clear them all with relative ease, but I think they are all probably more fun for an experienced jumper now.

So thankful for the crew of volunteers that put in the time/work to make this happen...THANK YOU. It looked so bad after the trees were dropped I thought it might just be abandoned. It's such a nice thing to have, especially for the kids. My daughter is ecstatic to have these trails open again to continue to learn/hone her jumping skills.

As for the garbage, it really didn't look too bad when I was there. I pulled some trash out each time, mostly forgotten empty water/Gatorade bottles. Historically my daughter and I would periodically bring a garbage bag and do a cleanup run on our last pass, so we'll start doing that again. We are right in town and when I stop injuring myself we'll be there regularly. The garbage/recycle cans that used to be right outside the fence were moved to the entrance to the dog park area since they took the fence down.

I imagine dust could be a concern considering there's a heck of a lot less shade now. It was real dusty the first time I went but we were on a pretty solid no rain stretch. Not as bad the second time, and one of the builders actually stopped by and was fine tuning things.

Anyway, that's my take for anyone that hasn't been yet. If you liked it before, you'll probably like it even more now. And it you've never checked it out, def worth it. It's also only 10 min pedal to and from the nassau trails, if that.

On green there's a tree branch after one of the rollers. I skim the leaves with my helmet each time I pass it. Was this intentional? Or am I just riding it wrong

On green there's a tree branch after one of the rollers. I skim the leaves with my helmet each time I pass it. Was this intentional? Or am I just riding it wrong
Where is it on green? I've only ridden green all the way a couple of times, but I've ridden the top section to the first turn a bunch and hadn't noticed it. Though it isn't saying much, sometimes I don't notice things until I crash right into them.

I've been to the flow trails twice since they opened. In addition to clearing the bazillion trees, I think everything on blue has been touched, and the bottom of green was updated. I think it's a nice improvement.

On blue most of the smaller stuff, the rollers that you can gap etc., seem easier. Not sure if it's my imagination, or if they were really changed, but the gaps seem shorter to me. Many, maybe all, of the tables have been modified, and I think all in a good way. The first one is taller and shorter. Not much work to get to the right speed for it now. It's "boostier" with a nice pumpable roller in front. The two tables in a straight-away about half way down both have better lips and jump bigger/easier now. The lower long table is even longer, with a really long forgivable landing, and it takes some effort for me to clear now. The second to last table is also bigger and longer (and better), and the last table seems similar in size, but just jumps better than it used to. There's a big new berm at the end of each trail which send you left onto the rightmost climbing trail with some momentum which is nice if you are headed back up. Also some berm work higher up on blue as well as some slight modification to teh line routes.

Overall I think it's an improvement all the way around. It's more challenging; I personally have yet to clear all of the last 3 tables in one run....but I am not the greatest jumper. Someone with solid jumping skills will probably clear them all with relative ease, but I think they are all probably more fun for an experienced jumper now.

So thankful for the crew of volunteers that put in the time/work to make this happen...THANK YOU. It looked so bad after the trees were dropped I thought it might just be abandoned. It's such a nice thing to have, especially for the kids. My daughter is ecstatic to have these trails open again to continue to learn/hone her jumping skills.

As for the garbage, it really didn't look too bad when I was there. I pulled some trash out each time, mostly forgotten empty water/Gatorade bottles. Historically my daughter and I would periodically bring a garbage bag and do a cleanup run on our last pass, so we'll start doing that again. We are right in town and when I stop injuring myself we'll be there regularly. The garbage/recycle cans that used to be right outside the fence were moved to the entrance to the dog park area since they took the fence down.

I imagine dust could be a concern considering there's a heck of a lot less shade now. It was real dusty the first time I went but we were on a pretty solid no rain stretch. Not as bad the second time, and one of the builders actually stopped by and was fine tuning things.

Anyway, that's my take for anyone that hasn't been yet. If you liked it before, you'll probably like it even more now. And it you've never checked it out, def worth it. It's also only 10 min pedal to and from the nassau trails, if that.
I felt like the landing ramps are steeper than last year which gives a smoother landing but also easier to over/under shoot it.
Still a blast to ride and I too am casing those last 3 jumps most of the time!

I know it's very general but does anyone have any tips for steep lips? I went over at creek one time and it sucked. I think i had weak legs and bumped the seat and went over. Should there be any upward force in jumping or does speed dictate height.

I know it's very general but does anyone have any tips for steep lips? I went over at creek one time and it sucked. I think i had weak legs and bumped the seat and went over. Should there be any upward force in jumping or does speed dictate height.
I'm getting better at the more technical jumps but definitely not an expert. Hopefully some others will chime in.
What's been working for me is when the bike leaves the ramp, I pull the handle bars up and forward. I don't know if this is the correct technique or if I'm compensating for poor technique earlier in the jump but it keeps me behind the bars instead of going over them.
The steep lips really throw your body forward when you hit it so you have to be prepared to counteract those forces (without making your body stiff).

Easiest way I can describe it is to have your knee bend “match” the transition of the jump.
Crouched at the beginning and incrementally extending your legs until your back wheel starts to leave the lip of the jump with legs extended/ standing.
If you’re still crouched at the top/lip of the jump, your body will be too far forward and not only will you not go far, chances are you’ll be bucked because you are not countering the inertia by standing/extending your legs away from the jump.
Your arms should also be extending as the front wheel comes off the lip. Pulling slightly and curling your front foot’s toes. This will cause a push/ pull effect on your pedals so your feet stay on.
If you watch some jumping videos on YT, put them in slow motion and you’ll notice this phenomena.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom