Nassau Trails - partial closure

mdino

Only signage that I noticed.
253EDFA3-A3E2-4D32-AB5C-029C247659F2.jpeg
1899431F-CF18-4174-B0A9-E1408F9CA32F.jpeg

Last edited:

pkovo

FYI, there is an explanation and copy of the deed posted on the “Mayor Michelle Lee” Facebook page. Not sure if I can link it here.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Try this:

Linky

Specifically from page 4

1683809928082.png

How did MTB get lumped in with gas powered vehicles?
I'm sure that closing this disconnect, with regards to the surrounding area, is being considered.

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
edit, just use Pats link

Attachments

• IMG_0259.png
    IMG_0259.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0255.png
    IMG_0255.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0256.png
    IMG_0256.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0249.png
    IMG_0249.png
    121 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0251.png
    IMG_0251.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0252.png
    IMG_0252.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0253.png
    IMG_0253.png
    146 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0254.png
    IMG_0254.png
    203.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0257.png
    IMG_0257.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0258.png
    IMG_0258.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 70

iman29

I don't think we want this and the current "soft" message may be by design. The deed requires the municipality to state the trails are closed. They have. If they chose not to enforce it, it might be to our benefit.

The trespassing statute requires that the offender "knowingly and purposely" disregard posted NO TRESPASSING signage or hop a fence or remain in a structure after it is closed. Right now there is plausable deniability. That's a good thing.

Unless the town passes a specific ordinance against MTBing at Nassau or until you have a cop ID you and make a record that you have been notified and warned of the trespassing, you're good. And maybe the borough attorney advised the town to leave it vague. Lest they have a shitshow on their hands.

I'm not an attorney but I did pass by a Motel 6 last night. LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE. Don't show up at the council meeting and demand a response. You'll force their hand. Slow play this.
the more I think about it the more this feedback makes sense. based on the information the town was formally required to designate the trail closed due to the restricted use requirement in the deed.

That being said, enforcement may be another story as well as any legality about trespassing.

Just also consider any actions that may exacerbate the situation like the idea that well we can just ride it anyway, will just reinforce the perception that MTB riders don't care about these things and do whatever they want anyway, so we should just close ALL the trails (not likely but hey who thought these trails would get closed in the first place).

Norm also made some good points we don't even know what else is in play or what the next steps to sorting this out in a more positive manner that all sides can live with it might be, so rallying the troops and stampeding the town with demands will put those in power in defensive mode automatically.

Hoping this can get sorted out somehow sooner than later but I personally plan to abide by the "rules" when I go there to not make it worse.

pkovo

It's a bummer for sure, but I've ridden it using the field to connect the two sides avoiding the closed trails and it isn't so bad.

Starting at Foran and doing all that's left of Springside, especially if you run the Springside loop twice (once each way) and all of the OG Nassau trails is still a pretty nice ride.

Matt's Trail could be nice to connect if a trail gets worn in through the field, but even using the road, it's a quick downhill shot to either Nassau lot from the bottom of the field, so it doesn't really upset the flow of the ride too much.

Can always ride over and connect some laps on the flow trails also now that they are open.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Surely when Jeff and others built these trails way back when there was some form of permission and authorization granted by whomever is/was the land steward, no? If so can that be cited as evidence that this activity was approved by the appropriate powers that be. The way I see it, the land steward approved the trial building for the purposes of multi use, volunteers stepped up to build what are now essentially assets on the land, and now these assets are not available for the very use for which they were created and for the very people that created them. Doesn’t add up. Do we have the original paperwork and other artifacts that governed approval of the trail construction?

Jeffreywoliver

Surely when Jeff and others built these trails way back when there was some form of permission and authorization granted by whomever is/was the land steward, no? If so can that be cited as evidence that this activity was approved by the appropriate powers that be. The way I see it, the land steward approved the trial building for the purposes of multi use, volunteers stepped up to build what are now essentially assets on the land, and now these assets are not available for the very use for which they were created and for the very people that created them. Doesn’t add up. Do we have the original paperwork and other artifacts that governed approval of the trail construction?
As I understand it, either the town never knew about the deed restrictions (this is likely) or the change of use agreement was never completed. This was brought up by a neigh or in 2019 and came to a head in 2020 when the state was notified.

mdino

These were both posted on the Mayor's facebook page. The Deed Map seems indicate that Brogan's Run would still be open however, the kiosk sign says otherwise. Not looking to stir the pot - just sharing the information to keep everyone in the loop. I would say air on the side of caution and assume Brogan's Run is also closed.
SharedScreenshot.jpg
346286728_1400134763895359_1137080779263119680_n.jpg

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Seems like the only option is to petition the New Jersey Office of Natural Resource Restoration to remove the restriction. Seems like a long shot but worth a try.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions