Nassau Trails - partial closure

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Seems like the only option is to petition the New Jersey Office of Natural Resource Restoration to remove the restriction. Seems like a long shot but worth a try.

I think they can do it - just time and money. Only need the mtb - and it doesn't fit with the gas powered vehicles.
The trails are also equestrian approved - which we know can cause more damage than a bicycle.

I've updated trailforks to hiking only.

SAM

So, the purchase came with a "deed restriction specifically restricting the construction of trails...", trails were constructed but not approved and hiking is allowed on the non-approved trails but not mountain biking.

Pretty confusing to me. Guess I don't know the history/back story.

Patrick

Staff member
So, the purchase came with a "deed restriction specifically restricting the construction of trails...", trails were constructed but not approved and hiking is allowed on the non-approved trails but not mountain biking.

Pretty confusing to me. Guess I don't know the history/back story.

i interpreted it as they could build trails without permission from natural resources - since they had to mark them equestrian safe, etc. they just exclude certain activities in there - one being mountain biking.

Nobody is acting in bad faith - nobody is going to read the deed in 2010, because nobody would question passive activities.

i'll now update what i think happened (meaning speculate.) Since it has specific references to equestrian activity, mountain bikes were excluded,
because just down the road, not too many years before, whole counties and parks were excluding mtb cause of a few
that would buzz past horses and people.

Doesn't seem unreasonable. We now have an ally who may choose to pursue a change.
If not, we should not act entitled. There was no malice. We'll hook up the field trail from across the road, and move on.

SAM

i interpreted it as they could build trails without permission from natural resources - since they had to mark them equestrian safe, etc. they just exclude certain activities in there - one being mountain biking.

Nobody is acting in bad faith - nobody is going to read the deed in 2010, because nobody would question passive activities.

i'll now update what i think happened (meaning speculate.) Since it has specific references to equestrian activity, mountain bikes were excluded,
because just down the road, not too many years before, whole counties and parks were excluding mtb cause of a few
that would buzz past horses and people.

Doesn't seem unreasonable. We now have an ally who may choose to pursue a change.
If not, we should not act entitled. There was no malice. We'll hook up the field trail from across the road, and move on.
Thanks. I wasn't implying malice. I was just confused by the part of the statement saying the deed restriction "restricted the construction of trails". Because it's somewhat unclear, I'll speculate the statement should probably say the deed restriction specifically restricted the construction of trails for certain uses, such as mountain biking.

iman29

I don’t know a whole lot about the situation in general but what I can say is I met the Mayor in the pouring rain at the grand opening of Martys new shop in High Bridge and she is bike friendly and also rides the CT.

My own speculation is that the town really had no choice once it got elevated to the DEP, but like any other advocacy for trails that allow riding this whole topic probably needs to start back at the beginning as if there are no MTB trails there yet.

To pats point if the collective act entitled “because we have been riding it and maintaining it for xxx years” it won’t really help much.

Hoping this is just the short term scenario and the powers that be can find a way to come to an agreement which makes everyone moderately happy.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
To pats point if the collective act entitled “because we have been riding it and maintaining it for xxx years” it won’t really help much.

I 100% disagree with this.

In fact, hopefully those who maintain the trails let this off limits section stay out of scope of maintenance going forward.

It will be very easy to show how active the mountain bike community maintenance is versus everyone else. I venture a guess that where the bikes are allowed and TM hopefully continues, the trails will be good. I also assume if maintenance is only performed where we can ride, the trails that are off limits will most likely end up over-grown with downed trees across them from storms and no one going in to help clear.

Take a before and after. Start the documentation process. A picture is worth 1,000 words. Watch the difference from this season to the next and on.

This is just Watchung all over again. Free trails created and maintained by bikers only to be taken away because the town didn’t do their homework. Being passive does nothing.

If we care enough we do the work to get the paper changed. If we don’t, nothing will change and the work that was done is lost. It’s that simple, which is lots of hours of paperwork and discussion and politics. Advocacy is not silence.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

In fact, hopefully those who maintain the trails let this off limits section stay out of scope of maintenance going forward.

It will be very easy to show how active the mountain bike community maintenance is versus everyone else. I venture a guess that where the bikes are allowed and TM hopefully continues, the trails will be good. I also assume if maintenance is only performed where we can ride, the trails that are off limits will most likely end up over-grown with downed trees across them from storms and no one going in to help clear.

Take a before and after. Start the documentation process. A picture is worth 1,000 words. Watch the difference from this season to the next and on.

This is just Watchung all over again. Free trails created and maintained by bikers only to be taken away because the town didn’t do their homework. Being passive does nothing.

If we care enough we do the work to get the paper changed. If we don’t, nothing will change and the work that was done is lost. It’s that simple, which is lots of hours of paperwork and discussion and politics. Advocacy is not silence.
^This.

TommyF

Totally agree with this !!! We're not allowed on them, why should we maintain them? then we won't go on them. Let's see how those who are left to use them take care of them. Pictures, pictures, pictures documenting the conditions over time will help in our case.

Crabryder

Wow, Just seen this post about closures. What a bunch of s__t! , totally agree to disagree, let's see how much TM is done on the restricted area ,it might not take as long as you think. The MTB community always seems to be the stepping up as organizer of anything and will tend to grab some hikers, trail runners even equestrians to help out along the way. I just discovered how awesome this trail system was for the 1st time last year, especially Springside!

Patrick

Staff member
Why would anyone think the town wouldn't want to re-open them to mtb?
Our (The Nassau Crew, along with the JORBA projects) success is also their success.
Don't you think they are looking at each other and wondering how they missed it?
And wouldn't they want to do something about it now that it is in the light (again)
They could have shut it down 4 years ago, and nothing would have moved during covid....

if they are going to ask for inclusion of MTB, it would include something from JORBA about
advocacy, and education - along with the growth of NICA in the state. Along with their story.

Sure it could fall into disrepair if nobody uses it. And if nobody uses it, then it shouldn't be there.
They do have capable people out there that hike.

I've worked with the volunteers from the town, along with the outdoor committee - they showed up at a TM in force.
Supplied labor and materials, were up on the status of the road, and appreciative of contribution.

I keep getting the vibe from some that think the town gvt peeps don't care - but they do.
It is going to move at the pace of government. There is a process. Let it play out.

Think about this one - we have a path through an active metal forge...that didn't just happen.

Jeffreywoliver

About 6-7 people do and have done the lion’s share of the build and maintenance and it was all done with oversight from the town environment committee. Sure there have been townsfolk out occasionally, but this was mostly built and regularly maintained by <10 volunteers who were involved from the beginning. I will say this thread has been therapeutic for me. My first inclination was pitchforks and torches at council. I now agree thats unhelpful. That said, some of this is straight inaction by people who should be defending an important asset that brings hundreds of people to High Bridge. There were conversations going on most of 2020 and 2021. Nothing apparently has resulted from it. Volunteers were ready and waiting to execute the plan.BTW, there’s a large tree down on Flatlands.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
About 6-7 people do and have done the lion’s share of the build and maintenance and it was all done with oversight from the town environment committee.
Thanks for what you and the volunteers have done to build up Nassau trails to what they are today. Hopefully this story has a happy ending, but if it don't, you folks are still appreciated.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions