Slate Valley Trails, POULTNEY VT

Another trail opened a month or so ago in Rochester connected to Boulder Dash called Tunnel Ridge trail. This is part of the Velomont Trail. Some true rock art. Bring your climbing legs/lungs

Another trail opened a month or so ago in Rochester connected to Boulder Dash called Tunnel Ridge trail. This is part of the Velomont Trail. Some true rock art. Bring your climbing legs/lungs

I saw this on the LD Instagram page (LD is now rebuilding Haulapalooza in Stowe). It looks awesome but it's like 4 miles out & back, no? Not a loop IIRC.

I saw this on the LD Instagram page (LD is now rebuilding Haulapalooza in Stowe). It looks awesome but it's like 4 miles out & back, no? Not a loop IIRC.
Not a loop. It seems this Velomont Trail will be randomly built in fragments from what I'm hearing. Tunnel Ridge Trail is an out and back for the foreseeable future. Some folk seem to either come out on rt. 100 via Tunnel Brook Rd. or come out on rt. 73 via Swan Mill Rd. I did see L&D is now in Stowe. Can't wait to see how they come into Pittsfield and connect to Green Mountain Trails ! Hopefully they can use the Contest Trail

@Cassinonorth
@JDurk

Let's move the convo here.

We parked at the small/limited lot which avoids the roads entirely. After talking with people and then discussing the route with a local at the trail head, we ended up with tihs:

I would say this was a great loop that hits all the major points (including the 2 new trails they opened this year) and avoids the road. Given the temps this weekend I would avoid the road at all costs.

@Cassinonorth
@JDurk

We parked at the small/limited lot which avoids the roads entirely. After talking with people and then discussing the route with a local at the trail head, we ended up with tihs:

I would say this was a great loop that hits all the major points (including the 2 new trails they opened this year) and avoids the road. Given the temps this weekend I would avoid the road at all costs.

This looks perfect, I'm at least a little comforted my random picking of trails looks similar to this haha. I'm assuming you went right off Rusty Bucket to Lower Ledges to climb?

This looks perfect, I'm at least a little comforted my random picking of trails looks similar to this haha. I'm assuming you went right off Rusty Bucket to Lower Ledges to climb?

Yup. This direction hits the 2 new trails in the "right" direction. The Dwight one has some brilliant stuff in it. Make sure you also hit Lower Birdie. And I implore you to climb Porcupine and NOT TAKE THE FIRE ROAD UP, no matter how much you may want to straight shot it. It gets brutal in a few spots.

Awesome lookout spot about 80% through the ride, after that last big climb.

@Cassinonorth
@JDurk

Yes, continuing over here instead of derailing the other thread. @Cassinonorth the lot where @Norm started is a better starting point. Where your Trailforks route starts is a private driveway across from Lake St. Catherine S.P. The Endless Brook Trailhead lot is small and in the shade. The lot at the entrance of the golf course is larger, but full sun. I was camping at the state park, so my rides started from there. Did 2 rides from Endless and 1 from the Fairgrounds. Your plan does hit many of the same things we both did.
Enjoy.
Endless: https://www.strava.com/activities/7344634366
Fairgrounds: https://www.strava.com/activities/7353246975
Endless: https://www.strava.com/activities/7355446132

Yes, continuing over here instead of derailing the other thread. @Cassinonorth the lot where @Norm started is a better starting point. Where your Trailforks route starts is a private driveway across from Lake St. Catherine S.P. The Endless Brook Trailhead lot is small and in the shade. The lot at the entrance of the golf course is larger, but full sun. I was camping at the state park, so my rides started from there. Did 2 rides from Endless and 1 from the Fairgrounds. Your plan does hit many of the same things we both did.
Enjoy.
Endless: https://www.strava.com/activities/7344634366
Fairgrounds: https://www.strava.com/activities/7353246975
Endless: https://www.strava.com/activities/7355446132
I didn't have time for either Upper or Lower Birdie, but if going up Rusty Bucket, can hit Rocky Ridge then climb back up for Hunker Down. I would definitely descend Porcupine.

Last edited:
I was there the day after Norm and I stole his route and then added on a climb up Hardy's Hill and down Hunker Down at the end. Would recommend.

I also did Upper Birdie which is another climb followed by a longer descent into Lower Birdie.

Can't see your Strava activity. How was it? I have a few pics from that same spot. Looks like the weather cooperated.

Really fun. So hard to pick a favorite trail system in VT, Hunker Down was very clearly the highlight of the ride and Dwight's Drop was very fun as well.

Looks like we rode it in '21 on our way to the Stowe area.

1658331932139.png

Quick trip to VT to use my Killy voucher and hit this on my way home. Used @JDurk Fairgrounds loop - did not disappoint at all. Really enjoyed it!!!!! they added a little more to Gap Tooth but I think my favorite part was Lollipop. Lot was empty when I parked at 7:30 this morning but filling as I left around 9:30. Will have to hit the other sections next time.

Last edited:
Quick trip to VT to use my Killy voucher and hit this on my way home. Used @JDurk Fairgrounds loop - did not disappoint at all. Really enjoyed it!!!!! they added a little more to Gap Jump but I think my favorite part was Lollipop. Lot was empty when I parked at 7:30 this morning but filling as I left around 9:30. Will have to hit the other sections next time.
Awesome. I think you would enjoy the trails from the Endless Brook trailhead as well. For Fairgrounds, I got a guided tour from three locals, including Candice, 1 of the co-owner of Analog Cycles. She rode that loop on a drop bar Tanglefoot Cycles, which is based in her shop. I was on my Pivot T429 and had a hard time keeping up.

Back
Top Bottom