So what did you break this time??

I didn't break it but I certainly messed up my AXS shifting after a crash. Don't know if I did something to the derailleur or bent the hanger. I checked the hanger and it seems to be straight but shifting is crap. I may need to play with micro-adjust and knowing me I'll make it worse.

Just riding along and braking on some downhill off camber greasy roots laying diagonal across the trail. After I picked my ass up off the ground, the broken front brake lever was a reminder to lay off the brakes.

IMG_6243.jpg

Lucky it wasn't all the way busted so I could continue to use it on a couple more rides while I waited 18 days for the new lever to arrive :(.

IMG_6242.jpg

I was trying to replace the bottom bracket on my Rockhopper. I was fighting to remove the cranks which seemed to be put on with the might of Zeus and thought I was getting somewhere when I realized I sheared the threads on the crank and sheared the tip of my tool off. Either I made a first timer mistake or just got unlucky. Either way gotta figure out what to do next.
D81138E9-8056-4305-BC6F-EE888965DAE4.jpeg
E5354BAC-1838-406B-A984-01AA122A83B4.jpeg

Update:

Hub puller also didn’t work so I chopped the cranks off the BB. Not sure if it’s considered breaking or fixing but I need some new parts.

Attachments

• 1042341B-558A-42A0-B50D-4790BDAC55E4.jpeg
    1042341B-558A-42A0-B50D-4790BDAC55E4.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I was trying to replace the bottom bracket on my Rockhopper. I was fighting to remove the cranks which seemed to be put on with the might of Zeus and thought I was getting somewhere when I realized I sheared the threads on the crank and sheared the tip of my tool off. Either I made a first timer mistake or just got unlucky. Either way gotta figure out what to do next.View attachment 205802View attachment 205803

Update:

Hub puller also didn’t work so I chopped the cranks off the BB. Not sure if it’s considered breaking or fixing but I need some new parts.
This is actually a very easy fix….

🔥 + New Bike

Was wondering why the rear brake didn't feel right.

Also, fsck Shimano for not offering piston rebuild kits. You have to buy an entire caliper and replace. 🙄

View attachment 207186

2 year warranty on those--would absolutely be covered unless you told them you mashed it back in with a screwdriver.

I was trying to replace the bottom bracket on my Rockhopper. I was fighting to remove the cranks which seemed to be put on with the might of Zeus and thought I was getting somewhere when I realized I sheared the threads on the crank and sheared the tip of my tool off. Either I made a first timer mistake or just got unlucky. Either way gotta figure out what to do next.View attachment 205802View attachment 205803

Update:

It's difficult to work around chainrings (they would have to be cut off), but you can use a pair of Jacob's #6 chuck wedges, banged in with a punch.

The handle-d pullers suck. The "socket" style ones are much better; both can break like that, though. If a ST doesn't want to remove and you feel the pressure hit a plateau,: stop, leave the puller tensioned as is, grab a hammer, and hit it medium-hard (Driving a regular nail). Screw down a bit, and repeat. This will frequently break the static friction on the taper, and allow you to remove it. You can 'team up' the chuck wedges with this, if they're really stuck.

Usually the threads bust out from leaving a washer in the bottom of the socket (older crank bolts), or from stuck tapers.

Cracked rear wheel. Went through a rock garden and heard a crack. Thought it was a pedal strike. Ended with a flat by the end of the trail (Motorcycle trail at Graham). Odd that the tire wasn't gashed if it was a side impact. hmm.

It's a Berd 30mm wheel with XC Cush.

52781937528_466bb4718b_b.jpg

52781471171_0c21a5bd53_b.jpg

Looks like the crack is right along the fibers. With no real signs of impact, wonder if it was a defect?

You can clearly see the impact zone, the rim is bent right at the failure point. Odd that the tire doesn't show any sign of it.

Cracked rear wheel. Went through a rock garden and heard a crack. Thought it was a pedal strike. Ended with a flat by the end of the trail (Motorcycle trail at Graham). Odd that the tire wasn't gashed if it was a side impact. hmm.

It's a Berd 30mm wheel with XC Cush.

52781937528_466bb4718b_b.jpg

52781471171_0c21a5bd53_b.jpg

What pressure are you running in the back??

The last thing that I broke, along with my face. Another TBI was exactly what I needed. And check the fine-print of that frame warranty kids. The whole carbon is stronger than aluminum thing is a lie, this is my second break in the same place, 2 different bikes. The carbon is easier to fix than aluminum is truth though, taketh with one hand and giveth with the outher.

55CE6461-26A0-4F90-9B18-B5DBE39D65E8.jpeg

The last thing that I broke, along with my face. Another TBI was exactly what I needed. And check the fine-print of that frame warranty kids. The whole carbon is stronger than aluminum thing is a lie, this is my second break in the same place, 2 different bikes. The carbon is easier to fix than aluminum is truth though, taketh with one hand and giveth with the outher.

View attachment 210574
Was it a crash? Should be under warranty if it's a defect.

Was it a crash? Should be under warranty if it's a defect.
Yea, it was a crash. Part that pissed me off was they changed the frame and didn't have any rear triangles in stock, so only option from Ibis was to buy a new frame under crash replacement. Price was reasonable for a new frame, but I didn't really feel like laying out that kind of money on a relatively new bike. Who doesn't keep some spares in inventory for warranty claims? I sent it out for repair to a reliable service instead.

Back
Top Bottom