Sterling Forest Trail Conditions

TommyF

We rode Sterling on Saturday, obviously before the coating of snow the following day. It was nothing short of hero dirt! Weather doesn't look good for Thursday and Friday, so it's going to be a greasy mess this coming weekend. It had been a year since I was last there, amazing work on the trails and new features !!!

MuniMan

Any intell on current conditions after rain and freeze last week?
There’s some ice in spots, especially on the section of Redback that is under construction. I suggest staying off that part of the trail. Although it didn’t bother my dog.

Otherwise all clear.

Ride now. It’s supposed to thaw later in the week.

9EF22547-2430-43DD-800B-8E3F4A7A2178.jpeg
3E7919FE-95D9-4833-9EBB-BE8A7F197A37.jpeg
749ACFCE-B4BA-40FE-8384-BF147A833098.jpeg

Last edited:

sundaydoug

With the temps slowly warming I'm guessing Sterling will likely be a no-go for this weekend? Or will most of it be ridable without doing damage?

MuniMan

Decent size tree down about here:

View attachment 205508

Other than that some soft spots but 95% really solid conditions before this rain.
This?

63BCCD4F-1EC1-4B6A-AB17-5B81E8868623.jpeg

Thanks,
It’s on the list.

Conditions have been pretty nice the past few weeks,

We’ve been busy working on the new sections of trail when it’s not frozen. It’s been wet enough to show where work is needed.

McKeags near Laurel Meadows parking lot.

0207D660-E68C-41DC-8C9D-8B5D0052CC91.jpeg
B687D3C1-4F2E-4E64-BD03-AB623EE200E0.jpeg

74C03229-87AF-4496-9F19-D7C771C8916B.jpeg

New Redback near the top.

F91B85F4-4BF4-4856-96EE-7B310C1FFFA2.jpeg

E84642A7-6E4B-4B0A-AF71-7719A2F83862.jpeg

We will schedule work sessions once there is predictable warm weather. There’s lots of trail to finish. And more to start on after that.

Last edited:

Cassinonorth

This?

View attachment 205513

Thanks,
It’s on the list.

Conditions have been pretty nice the past few weeks,

We’ve been busy working on the new sections of trail when it’s not frozen. It’s been wet enough to show where work is needed.

McKeags near Laurel Meadows parking lot.

New Redback near the top.

We will schedule work sessions once there is predictable warm weather. There’s lots of trail to finish. And more to start on after that.

Yup that's the one! Noticed some more water diversion, awesome work as always.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Sterling Forest was a muddy mess by 1pm today. Hiked through there with my son. Ran into a guy and his kid coming down the unfinished section of Redback. Politely tried to say, “You shouldn’t be riding here in these conditions.” but didn’t want to call him out in front of his kid. I could see he was double thinking the idea but I kept moving up the trail. Hopefully he realized it was a mistake and will think twice next time.

serviceguy

Sterling Forest was a muddy mess by 1pm today. Hiked through there with my son. Ran into a guy and his kid coming down the unfinished section of Redback. Politely tried to say, “You shouldn’t be riding here in these conditions.” but didn’t want to call him out in front of his kid. I could see he was double thinking the idea but I kept moving up the trail. Hopefully he realized it was a mistake and will think twice next time.
Actually, in my view it’s a double offense, a$$hole riding the mud and teaching future a$$hole it’s OK to do it. That’s how a$$holery is transmitted from one generation to the next one…

SSmtbr

Just got back from there today. Rode Mckeags to the main loop and back. Great conditions for 99.5% of the ride. Just a couple of very small mud sections.

Not sure how they’ll fare after any rains today though as the trails looked a little beat up from the past rains and freeze/thaw cycles but recovered from the two days of warm and sun but any extra moisture might slick them up again but for the moment they’re firm and good to go.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions