The Covid effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it mean to “afford”? Is this 30 year sustainable? Does not include taxes and insurance on the avg NJ home value in 2024 minus the 3.5 minimum fha down payment. Does this sound reasonable on a 2 person salary? This is a lower interest FHA loan btw. View attachment 233598
This is a national issue. Not NJ. Every desirable place to live is expensive.

And it's not just housing. The average new car price is just shy of $50k now. Do the math for that.

Last edited:
This is a national issue. Not NJ. Every desirable place to live is expensive.

And it's not just housing. The average new car price is just shy of $50k now. Do the math for that.
Based on this, Dave picked the wrong state to move to and could have saved enough for a vacation home if he moved to PA.

The ones that have a “vacation home” are more than likely super rich I have a shore house.
We weren't super rich growing up for sure, dad was a barber and mom worked too. We did however have that "vacation home" in LBI, on the water with a nice boat to play around out in the bay with. Good times back then for sure, I think we purchased the house for 94K before LBI built up to what it is today. I think just about all of my parents friends also had 2nd homes down there too. It was affordable back then, today it's a much different story.

We weren't super rich growing up for sure, dad was a barber and mom worked too. We did however have that "vacation home" in LBI, on the water with a nice boat to play around out in the bay with. Good times back then for sure, I think we purchased the house for 94K before LBI built up to what it is today. I think just about all of my parents friends also had 2nd homes down there too. It was affordable back then, today it's a much different story.

I BET YOU HAD SHOES GROWING UP DIDNT YA

Grandparents bought a place on 8th St in Beach Haven for $1,500 back in 1944. The whole family has used it during summers throughout the years. When my grandparents passed on, it was left to my uncle, who's 83y/o and still owns it. It did have damage during Sandy that required a bit of work and he also got funding to raise it a few years ago. A house a few doors down just went for around $1.5M. I've had discussions with 1 of my brothers and some cousins about how do we keep it in the family since none of us own shore houses.

Last edited:
Based on this, Dave picked the wrong state to move to and could have saved enough for a vacation home if he moved to PA.
Where in PA though. Since my son has been living in Pittsburgh I have been checking RE listings. Any house that we'd consider living in is as much as here in NJ. Sure there are plenty of less expensive houses available but they all need a few hundred thousand dollars worth of renovations.

Where in PA though. Since my son has been living in Pittsburgh I have been checking RE listings. Any house that we'd consider living in is as much as here in NJ. Sure there are plenty of less expensive houses available but they all need a few hundred thousand dollars worth of renovations.
@Carson can advise on where all the Lehigh Valley inexpensive housing is.

PA is such a weird sideways move from NJ. It's not like the weather is better or the pricing that much better. There should be a better draw for moving somewhere than just cheaper houses. Good biking though.

NJ sounds great on paper but in reality it’s such an inconvenience to get to all the conveniences.
I don't get this, why was it such an inconvenience?
People are here for the money.
Where aren't people in it for the money? Maybe a commune in Oregon?
I lived in a very nice area in flemington for 3 years. The problem? Everyone drove an hour to work and didn’t have time or energy to go outside and go for a walk after work. I never saw the neighbors outside.
People who have a 2 minute commute don't go outside. Some people walk and get out, and a lot of people don't.

Grandparents bought a place on 8th St in Beach Haven for $1,500 back in 1944. The whole family has used it during summers throughout the years. When my grandparents passed on, it was left to my 83y/o uncle, who still owns it. It did have damage during Sandy that required a bit of work and he also got funding to raise it a few years ago. A house a few doors down just went for around $1.5M. I've had discussions with my 1 of my brothers and cousins about how do we keep it in the family since none of us own shore houses.
My brother is doing that now for his kids. They built a house down the shore during COVID for 1.8 He now wants to buy the house behind him so he can connect the backyards together so that he can make it into a pool house. Oh, and he also wants to build another shore house... Meanwhile, I'm having Stouffer's for dinner 😂

That gap between philly and pittsburgh is BIG and is filled with small towns with industry that moved out and a shell of a town remaining. The further north you go, the cheaper it gets. Unfortunately it is the PA story. However some areas of Philly (that you may actually want to live) have incredibly lower property taxes, so that is a factor too. Yes, i understand Pittsburgh's south side is a total crap hole, but you can buy a house for a very low cost with $1500 in property taxes. Makes dropping money into a renovation easier to handle.
@Carson can advise on where all the Lehigh Valley inexpensive housing is.

PA is such a weird sideways move from NJ. It's not like the weather is better or the pricing that much better. There should be a better draw for moving somewhere than just cheaper houses. Good biking though.
Because don't tax retirement income, meaning if you want to live in the same area (for family or just because you like it):
1709317089609.png
Also, PA has a straight income tax of 3%, unlike NJ's graduated scale. And yes, PA/ NJ have a tax reciprocity agreement so while my office is in NJ, I pay PA income taxes (roughly 3% less). In @Dave Taylor 's case, it looks like Maryland does not have tax reciprocity with NJ, so he has to do some extra tax calcs, regardless, Maryland is higher than PA.

Tax Information for Individual Income Tax​

For tax year 2021, Maryland's personal tax rates begin at 2% on the first $1000 of taxable income and increase up to a maximum of 5.75% on incomes exceeding $250,000 (or $300,000 for taxpayers filing jointly, heads of household, or qualifying widow(ers).

I don't get this, why was it such an inconvenience?

Where aren't people in it for the money? Maybe a commune in Oregon?

People who have a 2 minute commute don't go outside. Some people walk and get out, and a lot of people don't.
Living close to all these great restaurants that you can’t go to at any normal business hour weekend/weekday. A lot of people aren’t in it for the money. Truthfully, if my bro would sell the oil and gas rights and the property I would get rid of pa house to pay off md house and be debt free. I’m in for the money because I have to be. I have to support a family and have to pay off my debt(mortgage).

I have a Pa vacation home bro.
200w.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom