What are you watching now?

Watching The Climb on HBO MAX with @ANWjrWill. Two episodes in, some cool stuff, usual reality show competition fluff also. An easy, lazy watch.
@JimN @The Heckler

We are obviously watching this as well, but ehhhhhh. I think it would be better without people being eliminated each week. Not every "reality" show has to be Survivor. There's been discussions online about some of the fakeness of the show, so I'm not really sure who the target audience is. I don't think it's geared toward climbers, but I don't know that non-climbers would find it interesting either. That said, they are going to beautiful places, doing amazing things, and it looks fucking incredible. My wife's main complaint is that it needs more Jason Momoa, and Chris Sharma kinda seems like a douche.

My wife's main complaint is that it needs more Jason Momoa, and Chris Sharma kinda seems like a douche.

Admittedly, I have a pretty low tolerance for "outdoor bro philosophizing" but I think I made it about 5 minutes in to the first episode 😂

Admittedly, I have a pretty low tolerance for "outdoor bro philosophizing" but I think I made it about 5 minutes in to the first episode 😂

Lol, yeah the beginning of each episode is rather ridiculous, and that is unfortunately the only time Jason Momoa is on screen for the most part. I do think it's great that he's trying to use his Hollywood-ness to bring more attention to the sport he loves and got a TV show made though. That said, the cliffs are crowded enough as it is, and we aren't gonna get any new ones anytime soon, so maybe climbing doesn't need to get any more popular :p

We are obviously watching this as well, but ehhhhhh. I think it would be better without people being eliminated each week. Not every "reality" show has to be Survivor. There's been discussions online about some of the fakeness of the show, so I'm not really sure who the target audience is. I don't think it's geared toward climbers, but I don't know that non-climbers would find it interesting either. That said, they are going to beautiful places, doing amazing things, and it looks fucking incredible. My wife's main complaint is that it needs more Jason Momoa, and Chris Sharma kinda seems like a douche.

Agree with the elimination aspect. And yes, being involved with a reality competition show a few years ago, there is definitely some aspect of fakeness. Like you said,
they are going to beautiful places, doing amazing things, and it looks fucking incredible.
and yes
Chris Sharma kinda seems like a douche.
Megan Martin is cool tho, because ANW.

We tend to watch a lot of the IFSC bouldering and lead competitions over the winter. I know that there are a lot of purists who think that indoor climbing as a sport is silly/uncool, but I enjoy it. It's great seeing the different ways that climbers approach the routes and obviously it's just so impressive how strong they all are. I've always thought that a version of it could be something that people would actually watch on TV, but I guess that's essentially what ANW is.

peaked at the staircase a few times as the wife was binge watching. I did see the dramatic tv series awhile back. did he do it i dont know.

Watched 14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible on Netflix. Was entertaining enough, I'm sure they glossed over a lot of details to keep it under 2 hours.

Quick overview, dude plans to climb 14 peaks over 8,000 meters within 7 months. Previous record was 7 yearsssssssss.

Just watched Torn on a flight, love you the climbing stuff even though I would never do it.

Got half way through the Hawk doc too. Good stuff

I thought it was pretty good, until it started getting pretty not good. Like if you were to start at the last season you would likely think it is total junk.
I don't know how many seasons there are but I'm only on season 1 and so far so good.

I thought it was pretty good, until it started getting pretty not good. Like if you were to start at the last season you would likely think it is total junk.
I was interested for a bit, but it definitely lost me. Might have had something to do with James Spader.

Though he looked like this when watching.
1679664831938.png

Couldn't unsee this.
1679664880569.png

Back
Top Bottom