WTF KFC? Katie Compton - Banned for doping

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not one to shy away from a minority view bonds was a poor example, you already reviewed his networth so I won't address that, aside for 100 million being "short term" money lol.

Also bonds as a hitting coach? How is that a bad thing, would you feel the same if Peyton Manning was a qb coach? You don't retire and go to head coach, but I don't need to tell you that.

Jeter is the fairytale story, you can only count a handful of former players who are now at that level. Former players need to prove themselves in a new way and succeed again. Regardless of his cheating, bonds is choosing to exist in an environment that he took advantage of.

You can't show up to your ex's family Christmas dinner and act surprised that you're not welcomed. He's got a 100 mil to wipe them tears away.

tenor.gif
I mean I posted his quote...he's pretty miserable...as are the other big time steroid guys of his era......and being a hitting coach for spring training is like the minimum wage job.(spring training bc the SF giants do not want the media talking to him on a regular basis after games, etc)..we are talking about the all time home run leader......The other 2 people on that list were Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron who im sure even most non baseball people have heard of. Many people of Bonds era are now managers, GMs, coaches, etc. But yes, he is still rich. So is it worth it to be just as rich and looked at fondly...I am a causal baseball fan, so I can name you many players who retired rich and respected. Or cheat and be rich and hated? The thing that is the major difference of course between say Bonds, Clemens, Mcguire, Sosa, Arod.....and perhaps KFC....They didnt HAVE to cheat...they were already dam good and making shit tons of money before steroids....Was KFC using PEDs the thing that kept her on the Trek team (and earning a small salary) the past few year? No idea....but I would bet if you asked her right now (if she actually did use PEDs) if it was worth it, she would say fuck no.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Random thoughts in no particular order (some arguably a bit cynical) ...

• The other night I turned on the TV and some channel was showing professional tag - like, you know, tag ... but professional ... and during the Olympics Nike had an entire ad campaign called "This is sport" or some slogan like that that featured people running around with hobby horses on some kind of inflatable obstacle course. So cornhole - why the hell not?
  • Anytime I hear someone talk about pro athletes as role models, I'm reminded of the SNL skit where all the pro ball players appear in the little kid's room with drugs and alcohol, including Will Ferrell as "Ted Brogan" who "played a little minor league ball in the 80's" and then asks the kid to hide a gun for him because he's got priors.
  • Pretty much everyone would cheat under the right circumstances. It's just human nature - we've been doing it since we first stood upright because it proved pretty early on to be very a useful tool for survival. Because what is cheating really? It's gaining an unfair advantage against an opponent, right? In sport that's frowned upon. In war, it's called "winning". We're hard wired to look for advantages wherever we can find them, and when the stakes are high enough - a relative thing - the character traits we claim to admire are easily thrown aside in favor of the imperative to come out ahead. Personal integrity (or whatever you want to call it) is to factors influencing behavior what gravity is the to four fundamental forces - pretty weak. It's quite easily overcome by stronger forces like "survival instinct", "financial security", "ego", or even the "cajoling nature of self-delusion". "Cheating" only becomes a problem for most of us when the stakes don't appear as high. If you were offered drugs to increase your aggression and strength in a physical fight to the death, how many of you would even pause to think, "No - because my opponent doesn't have access to the same drugs"? But for pro athletes, many of whom gave up education or the development of other marketable skills to go all in on their sport for financial security, isn't the decision to do PEDs kind of based on the same idea of ensuring survival? Without it, they may be left with nothing and no real options. Doesn't seem like a tough decision. Cheating when the stakes are too low to matter? Yeah, that's just weird (but again, human nature.) I love @UtahJoe 's idea of having a doping control show up at an H2H race. It'd be great if someone even did that as a joke - like borrow a lab coat and put some official looking stuff up and just sit past the finish line with a sign that says "Doping Controls - All Winners Must Provide Sample" and see how many folks decide not to race or experience an unfortunate mechanical that day.

Cassinonorth

well to me...baseball at its highest level..(not a game in june)..playoff game...elimination game....nothing has more drama....no clock to run out, just tension and very high focus / execution. The execution of baseball is probably the most difficult of all pro sports, but its very subtle and hard to see the drop on a breaking ball, or how hard it is to hit a 100mph fastball......I mean I dont understand why people love watching a 0-0 soccer game to its conclusion...I dont understand how something with so little offense is so popular...BUt that has nothing to do with the athletic abilities of the players.....I didnt grow up playing soccer and Im sure like baseball...it comes from growing up with it, playing it, and understanding the subtle things that are not seen on tv easily.

One thing to note on the baseball vs soccer thing. Baseball is going at LEAST 2.75-3.5 hours...sometimes 4. Soccer is 2 hours whistle to whistle including halftime.

They're both great sports and I'd rather watch them over American Football (singular games at least, Redzone rules) all day.

I'm trying hard to envision how you could cheat at cornhole...so far I'm coming short of it, I'm sure someone will figure out something.

Different bags/powder that helps deaden or shape the bag in the air? Stepping past the line?

jackx

It’s really impressive how far off topic this crew can take things. Then keep going.

So KFC plays professional cornhole now?
Apparently a page has been taken from the OOS crew on how to prolong or re-animate threads with careful dosing of observations about tangent topics that are interesting or just annoying enough (e.g. professional cornhole) to elicit serious replies and rejoinders.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd rather watch a 0-0 soccer game than a 9-7 baseball game. For one thing, you can always catch the baseball game the next day, or the day after that, or any of the other ~700 games they play per year.
I totally agree....however, lets say game 7...Cubs/Indians in 2016...9th inning watching Chapman trying to pitch the cubs to their first world series win in 108 years....50 million people on TV watched that....That is when baseball is great. Doesnt happen often, but I dont think any sport is better in those particular moments.

Baseball and Karate are out of 2024, but breakdancing is in. For reals.
baseball should 100% be out, or switch to winter olympics so the actual pros will play...WGAF about watching tyler austin anchor a team.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Apparently a page has been taken from the OOS crew on how to prolong or re-animate threads with careful dosing of observations about tangent topics that are interesting or just annoying enough (e.g. professional cornhole) to elicit serious replies and rejoinders.

Lul blame norm we were told to stay in one thread

roc

I totally agree....however, lets say game 7...Cubs/Indians in 2016...9th inning watching Chapman trying to pitch the cubs to their first world series win in 108 years....50 million people on TV watched that....That is when baseball is great. Doesnt happen often, but I dont think any sport is better in those particular moments.
my wife and i may watch a total of 20-30 innings over the season. Once the playoffs start, it seems like we watch every inning of every game. Playoff baseball can have you on the edge of your seat. so many exciting scenarios. Overtime playoff hockey is pretty damn good also.

mfennell

I would rather do anything than watch baseball. I get that it’s full of all kinds of stats, but that just makes it even less interesting, and less sport like ( aside from fat guys jogging around like NFL).
Same, but it's probably no less boring to me than bike racing is to the guy I know who works for mlb.com.

Reactions: roc

Cassinonorth

Same, but it's probably no less boring to me than bike racing is to the guy I know who works for mlb.com.

Road racing is on the level of golfing for me (I do both). Can't watch a single second of either without falling immediately asleep.

NASCAR is in that category as well. Formula 1 and MTB racing are great.

Top Bottom