What are you cooking right now?

Grill got too hot, so I cooked it a little too high. It's an insulated grill, so once the grill warmed up, the fire was out of control. Next time I'll back off the vents earlier. I accepted defeat and transferred it to the oven. I thought I cooked it to 118 but it came out a little too done, but it was tasty. The Yorkshire pudding came out great, just a little too much meat fat.

The cast iron muffin pan worked great. It's marked Wagner and Griswold. So it from when they were one company. So I think its from the 50s.

IMG_20221224_133250803.jpgIMG_20221224_144834824.jpgIMG_20221224_144342484.jpg

Been trying to get away from the Italian and provencal styles. The garlic onion sweet.chili and tomato is nice, but gotta expand.

Chicken thighs with cumin course chopped. Vinegar shallot lemon dressing. Medjool dates, toasted almond, kalamata olives, blanched red chard leaves and boiled stems.

It's a party in my mouth.

736069E2-C974-42EF-BA0E-BCD0AA500B29.jpeg

Last edited:
AFBD023C-5299-4F51-A76B-16022096E22B.jpeg
Not my best effort (at photography OR cooking), but trying to clear out the freezer, I threw together some venison steaks and mashed potatoes tonight and it came out well, if not visually impressive. Soy sauce, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire, olive oil, garlic, thyme, and parsley marinade. Kinda rushed things because I had to reseason the cast iron griddle too…went well with Beaujolais. Buzz-middle child had some (venison, not the beaujolais) too, and approved.

View attachment 203505
Not my best effort (at photography OR cooking), but trying to clear out the freezer, I threw together some venison steaks and mashed potatoes tonight and it came out well, if not visually impressive. Soy sauce, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire, olive oil, garlic, thyme, and parsley marinade. Kinda rushed things because I had to reseason the cast iron griddle too…went well with Beaujolais. Buzz-middle child had some (venison, not the beaujolais) too, and approved.

what cut of venison is that?
Something similar to a ribeye? or the tenderloin with the rest attached?

pro food photo hint: put taters in middle, slightly cross meat over. sprinkle plate with herbs.
although i can still imagine the taste, so it works!!!!!

TBH, I am not 100% positive since I had Frank the deer butcher process this one and he just labeled them steaks, but the cuts looked like top round.

Next time I make London broil style smoked backstraps, I’ll get better pictures…

Growing up, we always had venison since my dad was a hunter. I don't remember it much, but I ate it - and my mom was not the best cook.

We recently got venison (deer and elk) from a friend, and I couldn't eat it...I'm not the best cook either but my husband says it's because I didn't season it enough. We ended up giving the rest of the meat to my dad.

I didn’t come from a hunting background. We raised sheep and between that, fishing, and dirt bikes I had no time or interest for it. A few years back I decided to give bow hunting a try for a number of reasons (more time and excuses to be in the woods is good, right?), and I was lucky enough to be successful my first season.

I think I learned all the ways NOT to cook venison with that first deer, but I’m getting the hang of it now. To avoid coming out “gamey”, it definitely has to be treated differently than beef, lower internal temp cook, different seasonings work better, etc.

Another new recipe that has immediately found a place in the rotation.
Roasted cauliflower with pancetta, olives, and crisp Parmesan courtesy of NYTimes.
040BE50C-0790-4EAC-9696-AD8EE33495D7.jpeg

A34163D5-78E3-4094-B36D-C9C9EEEC2011.jpeg

We eat a lot of cauliflower, and I came across a bunch of great options searching for this that we will be trying soon.

Saturday- we had plans for Sunday, so Saturday became sauce day.
Hey, let’s try that NYT Amatriciana recipe!
Looked good, but it’s basically pancetta and tomatoes.
There’s no onion or garlic, which I thought was a major missed opportunity.
So I fixed that.
@MrsManic walks by/ hey, I bet some chopped olives in there would be good-
Me: yeah! (Pours another glass of wine)

Anyway, came out great, and I think we were just a few capers away from making Amatriputanesca.
Whatever, was delish
8E00E445-444C-45BE-B887-7DAD03104DB2.jpeg

EC7BE247-020A-45B4-886A-32C3CE5D2146.jpeg

4C9D1B1D-0301-4067-B060-B7DA4E93FBAE.jpeg

69E0013A-9C99-48BF-8B8F-2F52BFDD4443.jpeg

C8D029D9-4ED3-48CB-95F4-61E14E8D4D31.jpeg

Tonight- another winner from NYT-
Refried cannelis topped with a fried egg.
The only liberty I took this time was hot sauce a tabla.
Great weeknight dish.
Also delicious, but go slow shoveling down the yummy.
It will catch up when it lands.
E5587010-98A6-484C-B6A5-FC30F98A8F67.jpeg

I picked up some pork belly at Costco. I’ve never made it before. I don’t have a smoker.

Any good recipes? I’m open to anything. I googled it, but there are 9 million options, looking to take out the trial and error.

@jmanic
@Patrick
@ekuhn
@olegbabich

Back
Top Bottom