What are you cooking right now?

qclabrat

Got some nice bellies from the butcher and made my family favorite of braised pork belly. Blanching meat before cooking is a common practice in Chinese cooking to draw out blood and moist, like brining. The key is to caramelize rock sugar for the color. Also added shredded tofu to hold together the gravy.PXL_20230314_150048207.jpgPXL_20230314_154155768.jpgPXL_20230314_155708883.jpgPXL_20230314_170557484.jpgPXL_20230314_171627148.jpg

qclabrat

Continuing with the Chinese food theme. Cantonese roasted pork belly. The trick is all in the prep of the skin. In Chinatown, those who get there when the whole hog comes out will always ask for the belly portions. You usually order by how many ribs you want and is then weighed.
PXL_20230417_211805302.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Sous vide a ribeye and side muscle from a beef Pismo.

Looks ugly coming out of the water....
IMG_4329.jpeg
But then ya got to 🔥
IMG_4331.jpeg
And all is good

IMG_4333.jpeg

Hope you were either treated special, or treated someone special.
Happy Mother's Day

qclabrat

Gotta say his looks better.
I follow a similar technique as for Peking duck, and doing it for years. Don't slit the duck skin, just poke it a few hundred times with a skewer and the fat ooze out with the skin intact. Brining and drying in the fridge helps to render the fat.

Anyone know where to locally source camphor wood? Been wanting for years to smoke duck with camphor and tea leaves.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Grabbed some boneless pork chops and butterfilied them.
Sliced some rings from the chilies and pickled them (30 minutes) - had another random larger chili in the fridge so chopped that.
Garlic, onion, white wine, lemon, butter, s+p.

1693916305198.png

oil, garlic, onions go in the pan, get that nice smell going, then brown the chops.
deglaze with white wine, and some vinegar. add the chilies, reduce. chops go back in with
some lemon, cover for 10 minutes.

Serve with wilted chard - forgot the plated pics, too hungry!
Doesn't take long, and the vinegar/lemon/heat combo!

1693916565280.png

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Looking for tuna ideas. I have a few pounds of freshly caught tuna from a friend. Ate plenty of sashimi last night, looking for some ideas for the rest.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looking for tuna ideas. I have a few pounds of freshly caught tuna from a friend. Ate plenty of sashimi last night, looking for some ideas for the rest.
For NYE I used to do a seared tuna with wasabi rub over greens with a soy sauce salad dressing.
I never wrote down the recipe, but I can try to come up with it if you like.

And good friend!

Top Bottom