What Fat bike should I buy next???

I’ve been riding this for 5 years and have no complaints:
C5E1D50A-3BFF-44F9-97D6-09F2064DEC0F.jpeg

Think I'm going to pull the fork on mine and go back to rigid. The 5lbs was 20% increase. I'll just go slower dh.

Will make a difference if I put the 3" tires on, but that never happens.

Think I'm going to pull the fork on mine and go back to rigid. The 5lbs was 20% increase. I'll just go slower dh.

Your the second person to say it's not really worth it on a fat bike

Your the second person to say it's not really worth it on a fat bike

It helps bomb the downhills, but I'd rather rock crawl. it messed with my timing, and ability to lift the front. 26x4.8 year round.

As a counterpoint, you can take my Mastodon fork from my cold, dead heads. I don't know how I rode my fat bike rigid for two years.

you ride 27.5 now. Semi fat.

I rode several thousand miles with the Mastodon on full fat tires before downsizing. Would never go back to rigid, no matter the tire size.
Interesting. The only time I was in over my head was to fast thru the rocks

long live 26ers! Long live fatbikes!

Did not know there was a sworks fat boy but wouldn’t expect anything less from @xc62701

Yea they don’t make them any more. This was the last of its kind I believe.

Update: After looking around it looks like 2018 was the last year of the Sworks Fatty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ejd
It helps bomb the downhills, but I'd rather rock crawl. it messed with my timing, and ability to lift the front. 26x4.8 year round.
Does that refer to 29+ or the fork? Rocking 29+ on my Mukluk right now, probably switching to 27.5x4 soon waiting for the snow before going full fat…

I had a lot of fun in a Fatboy that @jimvreeland built for me. I regret having sold it. It was a great jack of all trades (at least back then). Good in the snow, dry trails, sand, mud, etc. It rode more like a mtb, especially with 4" tires in dry trails/sand vs. the 907, which had more of a touring feeling/geo, great for deep snow. Having said that, my next (fat)bike will be a Corvus Akio, because I want to build a tractor for the snow :) Although, I'll be checking out the Otso Arctodus that Jim posted here too.

I always rode rigid on the fatbikes and I felt like a "full" suspension fork was overkill, and weight I didn't want for the use/benefit I'd get from it. A good solution might be a Lauf fork. Just a bit of travel with minimal weight penalty. I had that in a build I almost finished last year. Unfortunately, I never got to ride it so I don't have any actual experience with this setup.

This is how that bike was shaping up.

IMG_0632.jpeg

I had a lot of fun in a Fatboy that @jimvreeland built for me. I regret having sold it. It was a great jack of all trades (at least back then). Good in the snow, dry trails, sand, mud, etc. It rode more like a mtb, especially with 4" tires in dry trails/sand vs. the 907, which had more of a touring feeling/geo, great for deep snow. Having said that, my next (fat)bike will be a Corvus Akio, because I want to build a tractor for the snow :) Although, I'll be checking out the Otso Arctodus that Jim posted here too.
This sums up my Fatboy feelings as well. Overall a really great bike. I cannot say enough good things about the Arctodus either, and it will be my tractor bike (although all-around riding feels pretty darn good too!).

Reactions: Ejd

I pulled the Bluto fork from my Farley last winter to get it serviced. Put the stock fork on, have kept it on since. Its a lighter, livelier (if a fatty can be) ride and I don't notice the difference.

As a counterpoint, you can take my Mastodon fork from my cold, dead hands. I don't know how I rode my fat bike rigid for two years.
Do you feel that the travel (120mm?) is the right amount or have you made changes?

I went from 100mm on my Bluto to 120mm and I am so glad that I did. Took one of the headset spacers out to shorten the stack height and shortened the stem from 80mm to 60mm and it really shines on downhills now. I traveled to and rode in Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Illinois and Pennsylvania this summer on a month long van life mountain bike vacation and I can’t say enough good things about having the extra travel let alone suspension itself. My fat bike is my only ride so it is a definite in my book. Anyone want a 100mm Bluto shaft? Pm me

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom