Chimney Rock Conditions

Crabryder

Conditions are A+ right now, finally broke away from Mine/Pine/Perinne-ville yesterday, rode Blue,Red,Orange and White, dry no puddles even on Blue, Get some soon-getting dry quick.
Also props 👍to all the work on re-routes on Orange,Blue and Red- maybe a little post dated here but Thanks!

hls811

Everything’s perfect, extra dry but I’ll take it over extra wet any day.

There is a tree down on orange, right at the bottom near the Gilbride entrance, must’ve happened overnight, it wasn’t there yesterday but was today.

rlb

There is a tree down on orange, right at the bottom near the Gilbride entrance, must’ve happened overnight, it wasn’t there yesterday but was today.

Def wasn't there at ~6:30 am today, glad it didn't come down on me!!

26''_Ripper

There's a big tree down on white right here
1685491783190.png

rlb

FYI Chimney Rock Rd is closed at Gilbride this morning, and traffic is being detoured down Gilbride. It doesn't look like the ball field lot is accessible.

Screenshot_20230603-083530.png

stilluf

Haven't ridden CR in a while, so after Saturday's ride wanted to give a big shout out to @Kirt and the HT crew and everyone else who has worked on the trails recently. The improvements are palpable! Especially like that connector trailhead from the ballfields lot. Great Job! Excited to get over to the new trails across Vosseller .

hls811

Any one else see this sign at the entrance to the new Cromwell section it wasnt there last week
Glad they finally put it up, should clear up any confusion on whether it’s open or not and give them a chance to finish it up and get it ready for some riding!

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Glad they finally put it up, should clear up any confusion on whether it’s open or not and give them a chance to finish it up and get it ready for some riding!
Any idea on what more needs to be done? It seems like riding it in would be the best thing right now.

Bikeworks

Any idea on what more needs to be done? It seems like riding it in would be the best thing right now.
Given my limited experience, grain of salt warranted; the hard pack sections are a disaster. Aside from being rutted, the actual base structure is very undulating, and not in a good way. There are some sections whose downsloping/camber is way more than necessary to facilitate drainage. Couple of turms have questionable run-ins/outs. But I agree, some of the other issues can be resolved with riding it.

Last edited:

hls811

Given my limited experience, grain of salt warranted; the hard pack sections are a disaster. Aside from being rutted, the actual base structure is very undulating, and not in a good way. There are some sections whose downsloping/camber is way more than necessary to facilitate drainage. Couple of turms have questionable run-ins/outs. But I agree, some of the other issues can be resolved with riding it.
I agree completely.. some areas are perfect and a blast to ride, but that hard pack section still needs some work (and based on the recent reroutes they are working on it). Down by the creek there’s still some loose rock they’ve been moving. It’s definitely in a condition now that they could just open it up and let people ride, but I’m glad they want to make it even better. I have no problem with them limiting access so they can do that.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My guess on the new "park closed" sign is due to the dam removal that is supposed to start in early June and last I heard, it was still on schedule. This is a different contractor and they are bringing in heavy equipment/dump trucks so it probably not very safe to have people using the trails while that's happening. The DEP is involved in this as well. I'll add that a riding group was stopped and questioned by BW PD a few weeks ago and had names taken. Now there is an actual sign warning to stay out. So just be aware if you go in again that it could happen to you.

With regards to the trails, what you see is what you get. The contractor is done with all the bid list projects, aside from the electronic gate, and the town seems content with the results. We agreed to disagree on my last call with them. The few changes that were made, are a few that I suggested and still done poorly at best. I'm figuring that there will be many issues when the rains come and then many more in the fall/winter season. But I did all I could to get my point across, as did others, but they did not want to address it. My guess is they expect us (Jorba) to make the needed repairs/changes not realizing the amount of work that will be required. We will see where this all goes in time.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions